Monday, January 11, 2016

A dip in the Ganges

Regular people are scared of taking the holy dip in the Ganges. Everyone warned us that the waters were dirty. But me and Jayanti decided to do what millions of Indians have done in these waters for thousands of years. But we decided to take a boat to cleaner waters to take the holy dip. Thus, we entered the Ganges at 5 in the morning. The water was icy cold. I went along with my friend's enthusiasm and chants. She was definitely happy. I could feel that the water was refreshing on my skin. It was sharp and cold. Like no other water. Almost therapeutic. I know if it was not this cold and if I stayed in the waters longer I would have learned more about the water. But ten minutes was all that we could handle. There is more mystery to the water of Ganges. Some corpses like that of kids are not burned but are supposedly drowned in these waters. It is what we call dirty that cleanses us. Perhaps the proposed cleaning of the Ganges may take away what is spiritual about the Ganges. Someone wiser than me might know a lot more about the waters of the Ganges. All I can say is that definitely there is something magical about these waters.

No comments:

Post a Comment